As you are probably aware, I’m running a contest to win a whole bunch of books. The contest is still going, and I promised to post more bad writing from high school because I’m hoping to read some of yours! (If you post bad teen writing so we can all laugh at it, you get 5 extra entries). I mentioned in my previous post that I have a 75k trunk novel I wrote when I was 17, but I can’t currently get it off my Lacie backup drive because my mac is in the shop. I’m getting my mac back next Monday, but I’m also going to my parents house this weekend and I’m pretty sure they have a hardcopy stored some where, so hopefully I’ll be able to post some fun excerpts over the next few days.
Anyway, not only did I write Sailor Moon fan poetry (and some comic books), I also used to draw Sailor Moon characters while in class and I remember I created a whole story for a character I created named Sailor Heaven and she had purple hair. I’m going to try to find that drawing this weekend and see if I can scan it in. Not sure if it’s still hanging around, but my parents saved EVERYTHING I did so it’s possible, I just have to wade through a lot of stored boxes.
I remember one time I was sitting in class and the boy I had a crush on sat behind me. I never really thought he would pay attention to me because I was rather shy (embarrassed by my braces) and so I mostly kept to myself drawing and writing. Except apparently he was peeking over my shoulder watching me draw my Sailor Heaven character.
He tapped me on my shoulder. "Is that Sailor Moon?"
I covered my paper, not really understanding what was going on. This boy was talking to me? Was he about to laugh and make fun of me to the school? I stared at him with wide eyes, debating whether to confess or maybe grab a hall pass, run out of the room, and transfer schools. I took a deep breath. "Yeah."
"Can I see? I love that show."
Phew! I showed him my character and we discussed it and it was the first time a boy really paid attention to me. Later, he sat next to me when my class went on a field trip to the movies to see Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio’s Romeo and Juliet because we were studying it. I seriously couldn’t pay attention for the entire movie. Nothing ever happened with us though. He never asked me out and I was certainly too shy to make any moves. But I do consider this moment something that broke me out of my shell because instead of staying quiet, I got to talk to a cute guy about the dorky things I liked and he didn’t think I was a dork! Random fact: the guy ended up on an MTV unscripted TV show a few years later.
Oh man, these are soooo funny. I laughed so hard transcribing these. Look how repetitive they are! The second poem says the same thing over and over again. LOL. As you can imagine from these, I was quite popular in school.
|Moonlight casts a shadow
On Serena’s precious face
A smile emerges gracefully
A high pedestal is her place
Her eyes begin to glisten
A tiara surrounds her face
In the past long ago
Fighting love and justice
With the help of other scouts
An endless wish is made
Her eyes begin to glisten
|*Note: I don’t even remember there being a stuffed bunny on the show, but whatever!
If she’s feeling sad
Or in a happy mood too
She can always count on her bunny
Because she knows it will always be true
A friend to her always
Someone to love
Her bunny is always loyal
Serena and her bunny
A best friend is hard to find
No matter what she does
If she’s feeling lonely
And to recap, here are the books you can win. Comment on this entry for another chance!
1st place will win their choice of EIGHT books listed below
2nd place will win their choice of SIX of the remaining books
3rd place will win their choice of FOUR of the remaining books
The rest I’ll donate to the library
Here are the list of books to choose from:
GINGERBREAD by Rachel Cohn (mass market)
SHRIMP by Rachel Cohn (hardcover)
SAY THE WORD by Jeannine Garsee (ARC)
SKIN DEEP by E.M. Crane (Hardcover)
FLAVOR OF THE WEEK by Tucker Shaw (paperback)
SCRAMBLED EGGS AT MIDNIGHT by Brad Barkley & Heather Helper (paperback)
SAVING ZOE by Alyson Noel (paperback)
LOVE SICK by Jack Coburn (hardcover)
NAOMI AND ELY’S NO KISS LIST by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan (hardcover)
OH. MY. GODS. by Tera Lynn Childs (hardcover)
SLAM by Nick Hornby (hardcover)
SWOLLEN by Melissa Lion (hardcover)
IF I HAVE A WICKED STEPMOTHER, WHERE’S MY PRINCE? by Melissa Kantor (hardcover)
GAMMA GLAMMA by Kim Flores (arc)
IT’S KIND OF A FUNNY STORY by Ned Vizzini (hardcover)
CHEATING AT SOLITAIRE by Ally Carter (paperback)
GUTIAR HIGHWAY ROSE by Brigid Lowry (paperback)
GIRL OVERBOARD by Justina Chen Headley (hardcover)
THE POISON APPLES by Lily Archer (hardcover)
THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN by Sherman Alexie (hardcover)
TWO WAY STREET by Lauren Barnholdt (paperback)
DESCRIPTION (Elements of Fiction) by Monica Wood (paperback)
DOING IT by Melvin Burgess (hardcover)
CRIMES OF THE SARAHS by Kristen Tracy (paperback)
WHAT HAPPENED TO CASS MCBRIDE (paperback)
MARKED by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast (paperback)
HOW TO BE BAD by E. Lockhart, Sarah Mlynowski, Lauren Myracle (hardcover)
THE SPELL BOOK OF LISTEN TAYLOR by Jaclyn Moriarty (hardcover)
1. Comment on any of my posts this week to receive one entry. (No limit to how many comments you can make).
2. Advertise this contest on your blog, twitter, facebook, wherever and link me back to it in the comments of this post to receive an extra entry
3. Friend me on LJ, twitter, facebook, or subscribe to this blog in a blog reader and get an extra entry (if you already friend me, just leave me a comment here and mention it to receive the extra entry)
4. Post an excerpt from teen/childhood writing (READ BELOW FOR MORE INFO) on your blog or here in the comments and link me back to it in the comments of this post to receive FIVE extra entries. I’ll keep a log of all the entries in another post so people can find them easily and read them all if they want. Post as many excerpts as you like until Sunday, but each one will require a new link to make it easiest for me to keep track.
5. Enter as many times as you like, really, I don’t care, I just want to give away books! So if you do all of the above once, you can get 8 entries. If you do it a second time, it doubles, make sense?
6. You don’t have to post high school writing to enter, just a comment will do.
7. Contest ends Tuesday April 28th at 11:59 pm est.
8. On Wednesday April 29th, I’ll put all the names in a hat and pick it live in a vlog. Check back here to see if you won.
9. This contest is open to US and Canada residents. I don’t have the funds to ship overseas, sorry!
10. No anonymous posts because I need a way to contact you if you won.