1. Well, the good news is the Apple store was able to retrieve the work I did yesterday on my WIP, so at least I haven’t lost that anymore, it’s now safely emailed to myself. So that means all the latest versions of my WIPs/novels/writing are backed up. The bad news is it seems the cost to fix the damage to my computer is only $100 LESS than the cost of a brand new computer. So…it doesn’t seem worth it to fix it. Apparently I have 10 minutes to back up whatever I can before the computer dies for good. Only my writing is backed up, not my photos/music/stuff like that. Not sure I believe that there’s a 10 minute deadline but I’m going to try it as soon as I finish this blog post (because I have to steal the monitor away from the PC I’m typing on to do it). It seems my computer is on its death bed. Other than that, looks like I’ll be buying a new computer this weekend. I do have a PC desktop and a PC laptop, but PCs and I do not get along very well so I’m going to try to make the time spent with them as little as possible.
ETA: My computer did not die after 10 minutes. It’s been going strong for 2 hours. I now have everything backed up, phew!
2. I finished nano with 57k, which is essentially 40k less than I was shooting for. (My first drafts tend to be on the long side, then I trim, so don’t be scared by that number.) I ended up having to stop working on nano toward mid-November when something surprising came up. I dragged a manuscript out of trunk-dom and I’ve been revising like hell the last few weeks to get it to my agent. That’s the one I was working on yesterday. It seems there might be new life for this one! So yay on that! I like this book and I’m glad there’s renewed interest.
3. As for my super secret retelling, it’s out with crit partners still. I have some notes from them waiting to be implemented, but I’m not going to tackle them until I get my agent the revived trunk novel. The retelling is in half-final draft mode, half-third draft mode since I revised the first half in November before I had to switch to the trunked one. My eta on this is to get her the full retelling book before the holidays.
4. Tomorrow is 6 months until my wedding. EEK!!! I picked out Bridesmaid dresses over Thanksgiving.
5. I’m going to go to this book signing at Books of Wonder in NYC this weekend so if you see me, say hi!
MICHELLE ZINK – Prophecy of the Sisters
JON SKOVRON – Struts and Frets
MEGAN CREWE – Give Up the Ghost
SARAH CROSS – Dull Boy
SHANI PETROFF – Daddy’s Little Angle: Bedeviled #1
KATE MESSNER – The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z
NEESHA MEMINGER – Shine Coconut Moon
DEVA FAGAN – Fortune’s Folly
How was your November? Holidays? Any exciting weekend plans?