As per my post yesterday, I’ve promised you some book recommendations. Here they are!
Book Recommendations of stories told in Alternating Timelines*note: this is just a small sample of books I’ve found helpful. It is in no way a complete list of books with alternating timelines!
- Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. (Alternates between “Now” and “Then” plotlines.)
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (Alternates by sections not chapters.)
- The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (It has multiple story arcs and timelines, as well as a story within a story, yet it’s all skillfully intertwined)
- Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (not alternating, but there is a separate flashback timeline that pops up a few times in the story and has fleshed out scenes and its own story arc)
- Good Girls by Laura Ruby (There’s only a few flashback chapters, but they are separate chapters and have their own story arc)
- What Happened to Cass McBride by Gail Giles (This uses different POVs but one POV is in the present day and another is in the flashback)
- Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (Two timelines with separate plots, though one is narrative and the other is told as excerpts from a manuscript.)
- The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King (Two timelines with two different protagonists, who are each reincarnations of each other. They have completely separate plots however both protagonists have the same ultimate goal.)
- The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Starts in the middle of the plot and tells what happened before and after the opening scene.)
- Sweethearts by Sara Zarr (Told in flashbacks in present tense while the Present Day story is told in past tense).