meredith_wood tagged me in this meme about 2008. Thanks!
1. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Obviously I’m eager for a book deal (or multi-book deal!!!) Plus I’d like an engagement ring, preferably soon so I can start planning the wedding. And more closets in my apartment would be nice.
2. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Feb 14 – the date I received an offer of representation from my agent.
3. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting an agent was a major highlight.
4. What was your biggest failure?
I wrote 45k in a first draft before I finally admitted it just wasn’t working.
5. What was the best thing you bought?
My old laptop died at the end of 2007, so I bought a brand new macbook last January and put it in a pink skin. It’s adorable. I heart it.
6. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My sister graduated from Harvard Law School, which is a pretty big accomplishment!
7. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I worked at a soul-sucking job in November where I put in 14 hours each day, and my bosses got mad at me because I wanted to leave work by 11pm since they refused to send me home in a car. It’s too dangerous for me to embark on an hour commute that late by myself. Plus, I’m on day rate so I don’t get overtime if I work more than 8 hours. They basically got two full days out of me each day, and I looked like the bad guy for wanting to travel home safely and, you know, sleep a little bit. Luckily the job only lasted 2 weeks (including weekends). I will not work for those clients again.
8. Where did most of your money go?
Books! I kept the book industry afloat! Okay, that last part is a joke, but the only thing I really bought this year was books. I didn’t even really buy clothes.
9. What song will always remind you of 2008?
"Untouched" by the Veronicas
10. Compared to this time last year, are you…
i. happier or sadder? Happier for sure!
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner, in fact, my pants are kind of falling off me right now
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer, it was a hard year for us freelancers
11. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Working, definitely. Also, seeing my friends.
12. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Being lazy when it came to cleaning my apartment
13. What was your favorite TV program?
14. What was the best book you read?
The Vampire Academy trilogy by Richelle Mead
15. What was your favorite film of this year?
Twilight, mostly because I spent the entire year obsessively checking for updates, viewing on-set photos, pretending to be a teen fangirl.
16. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 27 while on a cruise vacation!
17. What kept you sane?
My critique partner, denisejaden
18. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Robert Pattinson in all his sparklyness.
19. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
Be patient and don’t rush things. If I’m stuck on a scene, if I put it aside, eventually the change will come to me as long as I don’t try to force it. And in life, this lesson also applies (as I am trying to be patient for that engagement ring!)
20. Word you said often enough that it should have been your catchphrase:
Muffins. Seriously, don’t ask, it’s an inside joke with my sister.